http://www.facebook.com/ScienceReason … Eyes On The Skies (Chapter 1a): New Views Of The Skies
“Eyes On The Skies” – The International Astronomical Union’s book and movie celebrating the 400th anniversary of the telescope.
“Eyes On The Skies” Movie Chapters:
1a. New Views of the Skies (1):
1b. New Views of the Skies (2):
2. Bigger is Better:
3. Technology to the Rescue
4. From Silver to Silicon:
5. Seeing the Invisible:
6. Beyond Earth:
7. What’s Next?
1. New Views Of The Skies: The Invention of the telescope has been by far the most revolutionary development in the history of astronomy. For thousands of years, astronomers had to rely on their eyes in unravelling the mysteries of the Universe. The telescope revealed an embarrassment of astronomical riches, and led to a dramatic increase of knowledge about the wider world we live in.
The “Eyes On The Skies” movie explores the many facets of the telescope – the historical development, the scientific importance, the technological breakthroughs, and also the people behind this ground-breaking invention, their triumphs and failures. It is presented by Dr. J, aka Dr. Joe Liske, a professional astronomer from the European Southern Observatory (ESO) and host of the Hubblecast video podcast.
“Eyes On The Skies” is an official movie for the International Year of Astronomy 2009 and the International Astronomical Union, produced by ESA/Hubble (the same team as behind the widely distributed movie “Hubble – 15 Years of Discovery”).
• “Eyes On The Skies” movie script (PDF):
• “Eyes On The Skies” DVD (standard and Blu-ray):
“Eyes On The Skies” movie credits:
• Direction & Executive Producer: Lars Lindberg Christensen (ESA/ESO)
• Art Director/Production Designer: Martin Kornmesser (ESA/ESO)
• Written by Govert Schilling, Lars Lindberg Christensen (ESA/ESO)
• 3D Animations: Martin Kornmesser (ESA/ESO), Luis Calçada (ESO)
• DVD Authoring: Andre Roquette (ESA/ESO), Lee Pullen (ESA/ESO)
• Research: Laura Simurda (ESA/ESO)
• Editing: Martin Kornmesser (ESA/ESO)
• Cinematographer & Narration Mastering: Peter Rixner
• Soundtrack & Sound Effects: movetwo – Axel Kornmesser & Markus Löffler
• Lead Scientist: Dr. J (Dr. Joe Liske, ESO)
• Technical Support: Lars Holm Nielsen (ESA/ESO), Raquel Yumi Shida (IAU/ESA-ESO), Dirk Essl (ESO)
• IYA2009 Coordination: Pedro Russo & Mariana Barrosa (IAU/ESA-ESO)
• Proof reading: Anne Rhodes
• English Narration: Howard Cooper